Pages

August 5, 2009

SS2

Sunway Pyramid


Since Aidil Fitri is approaching...somehow SS2 is on my mind tho I've written this entry long time ago.


I start with SS2, SS2 started it all.

SS2 or Petaling Jaya was first developed by the British on the former 486 hectares Effingham Estate.

SS2 is located in Petaling Jaya (commonly called "PJ" by locals) is a Malaysian city originally developed as a satellite township for Kuala Lumpur

I came from up-North of Malaysia. The country is almost like an island itself but connected at the border of Thailand. My accent is like non-city girl speaks as almost every word ending up with kap sawa di kap baq. My dad was doing business from constructing to rice-mill, once his name was on the rice packet that I was proud of. Mom was in the Ministry of Health got me an idea that I had to put on braces like girls in the Western Sit-com series, Growing Pain, Family Ties, The Walks of Life that I watched every evening. Since mom was a state Dental Matron, my stubborn teeth were done there.

I was brought out for occasional vacations. As I was told that we were heading to KL, I actively jumped with packed bag ending up in SS2 not KL. SS2 was Kuala Lumpur to me then.
SS2 lived two beautiful couple with many kids scattered near and far. Not just SS2 inspired me, the people who lived in there. When I was back in my home up-north after a short visit in SS2. My mind wandered to live in PJ, to be a city girl, studied in Assunta a city high-school. Well I did go to Assunta after many years dreaming of it.


Same thing happened when I watched movie or series Beverly Hills, Back to the Future or ET, I wanted to go to the USA right away but to live in KL, it took some thoughts lingered on. Sure I've been in the States with a grown up mind :)


SS2 has up-to-date stuffs like McDonald, Pizzahut, Seven Eleven, I didn't wish the lists of franchisee to be up-north, I wished I'd move to SS2 to enjoy the outlets there. My dream came true, we got a house in Sunway, Petaling Jaya where the Pyramid is just a few blocks away but make BB a home. There we live, the most visited place was still SS2. For our festival, SS2 was our hometown to be first to visit. It is the most memorial spot and it contributed a lot of who I am now, it associated with my mind. For specific reason SS2 is my address that I filled in a form recently.

May I start again, SS2 lived a beautiful couple who are my Auntie-Wa and my beloved late Uncle-Wa. My Auntie is moving to the north, that was the last I heard after she lost her husband. I thot this cannot be North-SS2-North. It has to be North-SS2-SS2. They are my inspirations and I love them dearly.


Sunway Pyramid, PJS

26 comments:

  1. SS2 is your first home in Malaysia?? OIC, now I noe... Feel free, visit my hometown... Many historical places....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what SS stands for? Subang Selatan?

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say since I really know very little about your country is, that you are the best, babYpose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "My dad was doing business from constructing to rice-mill, once his name was on the rice packet that I was proud of. "

    what brand is that? :)

    SS2. Hmm. I've been there once. Yes, once. Actually Shah Alam can make me lost! So many roads and so many housing areas.

    i'm Penangite, and always be... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Zamspotte, its nice to see you here. My eldest auntie lives in SS2 like hometown to me, sad that she's moving. Where exactly is your hometown?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ocean Girl, Thanks for stopping by at the previous Flintstones Time and alerted me the comment column of this post was closed :) My guess SS2 mean Selangor Selatan 2 was my transit to visit you in the campus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Faisal, thanks for dropping few lines here. Appreciate them so much. The brand was his own name on the rice sack/guni beras, it was long time ago, I doubt anyone ever came across.

    You are Penangite, you are a city and island boy. City by the ocean is my first choice, if I ever had eldest auntie in Penang that I visited frequently. The tittle would be Penang :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Lucy, wish everybody would think the same as you do about me :) You made my day, glad that I found you cross the miles. You're a young thing and cannot leave the computer just like me :) We are matched.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for coming by to visit the Raisin Chronicles! Your stories of growing up in Malaysia are very interesting -- a glimpse into a life different than here in the States!

    ReplyDelete
  10. huhu... my hometown is Melaka, the UNESCO's heritage city in Malaysia, same with Penang.

    Sorry to hear that, but, sunway is better rite??

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always love to visit...
    But the packed life back there drive me crazy... Hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Greetings:)

    It was spellbinding to read your interesting narration. All of us take a liking to some places but invariably end up living somewhere else. Only the few lucky ones like you would get a chance to live where you want.

    I was brought up in Chennai in Tamilnadu but ended up living in Kochi in Kerala State. Kerala in know as GOD'S OWN COUNTRY. It is a beautiful place.

    Many, many thanks for visiting my blog and posting an interesting comment. I hope you will keep in touch.

    Your header photo is fantastic. I was so happy to see cheerful smiling faces.

    Wish you a wonderful day:)
    Joseph

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are the best. You cheer me up and guess what??? Spunky may be losing some much needed weight. I have been cooking special for him to lose weight. It may be working!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Babypose,
    Saw you following my blog... Dropped in to say thanks.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, thanks for dropping by my blog and commenting... A lot of people from PJ seem to love it, as far as I know. It's like the first ever modern city... (not sure about the SS numbers, though - very confusing!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi BabyPose, I knew Petaling Jaya when it was just mining pools, rubber estates and forest, jungle then.
    Then a highway was built, and the first few homes built in PJ, some wooden, some half wooden, bricks.
    Nobody wanted to live there, and new homes were going for a song too.

    At that time KL people said, "aiyoooh, so far la".
    Thus I have seen PJ grown to what it was in 1980's.
    When I returned in 2002, a friend took my wife and I to PJ, and on the road I enquired, "when we reach PJ"? He laughed, "you already in PJ"!

    Holy Smoke, I just couldn't recognise PJ anymore, and I have lived there too, in SEA park, as well University Gardens.
    Best regards, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am sorry to say that I have never been to your country, and I have been all over Asia. So now that I read your blog and am becoming a fan, I will just have to come to Kuala Lampur, hahaha. For me it will always be KL, from the books of Sommerset Maughan.
    I have been up in the mountains in the north of Portugal where I had no connection. So I am glad to be back, I always enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. thanks for dropping by my blog :)
    hope you're having a great weekend
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello, BabYpose! As a writer, I love reading your descriptions and learning with along with your other readers about the place you've been and their impact on your life. I'll be back to read more later.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I found this fascinating. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Babypose,

    SS2?!! Driving in PJ for me is really daunting. I'll make sure the tank is full whenever I'm around the PJ area...hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your new heading!Thanks for your lovely comment from the girl who loves LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  23. that's a beautiful structure!

    ReplyDelete
  24. there is a reataurant called murni ss2 there! love their food! yummy ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  25. Saya org JB
    Masa umur 6tahun kami sefamily berpindah ke kl.
    Pdhal pindah ke SS3.
    Masa tu fikir SS3 ialah di kl.
    Sama lah kite;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin